BUILD PEOPLE AND AMPLIFY TALENT THROUGH SKILLFUL MENTORING
Learn what both you and your mentee can do to make sure your mentoring relationship is as impactful as possible. Walk out with an entire workbook you both can use to co-create a mentoring journey of real, deep and lasting value.
The Centre for Coaching Leadership Conversation – MENTOR – Amplifying Talent course, helps mentors and mentees conduct skilful conversations that lead to the transfer of knowledge and skills in a fast-changing and unpredictable environment. This one-day course, in conjunction with the UCT GSB, is part of a series of six Leadership Conversations courses rooted in Integral theory.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course is aimed at Executives, Managers, or Emerging Leaders who are looking to mentor or be mentored and want to learn key communication skills for an effective mentoring relationship.
What will I gain from this course?
Participants of the Leadership Conversation – MENTOR – Amplifying Talent course will learn:
- The difference between mentoring and other interaction techniques at your disposal
- The ability to identify mentoring candidates and how to approach them
- Relevant skills that help to build mutual respect and trust between mentors and mentees
- Practical knowledge on the processes, skills, and qualities that will make you a great mentor
- How to ensure that your mentoring interventions are hitting the mark and achieving the desired results
Our short courses deliver learning experiences that are personally transformative because better people make better leaders.
Whilst theory is interesting, leadership is, in fact, best learned through practice. For that reason, this course is run in an experiential way, using a live-virtual approach on Zoom. Participants are asked to be willing to be fully themselves, fully engaged, open to being honest about themselves and what it is they truly want out of a mentoring conversation (no role plays). We also need all participants to be prepared to find out more about themselves as leaders and human beings.
We run our programmes using adult learning principles:
Adults learn through their own experience – we therefore insist that we focus on real issues, not role play
We take the time to create a safe, non-judgmental / confidential space to facilitate exploration and open curiosity
Participants anchor their learning in what really happens to them and their Organisation (i.e. apply to themselves and to each other, not told)
We ensure the framework is in place for participants to hold one another accountable
What does ‘live-virtual’ mean?
The following key elements are necessary in order to keep our workshops focused, interactive and dynamic and still meet the desired outcomes.
- we ask participants to read course material where possible before, we then deepen in dialogue
- In the workshop, we keep to max 15 mins of theory bursts with minimal use of PowerPoint
- Regular breakouts in small groups to keep a high level of interaction and deepen understanding of the theory. Where possible we have a member of faculty present to facilitate the discussion / answer questions
- Regular breaks: in order to keep the energy & engagement high, we have found that a short 5-10min break every hour including a body exercise (stretching, breathing, standing) works. This replaces coffee/tea breaks. We take an hour for lunch.
High faculty to participant ratio:
In order to ensure an optimum online learning experience, the ratio of faculty to participant should be 1:5
We are able to offer this ratio by making use of the Centre for Coaching’s large international faculty of professional integral coaches who have all trained with us and who have been supporting our academic and/or organisational programmes for a number of years.
6 DECEMBER 2022
See what Janine Ahlers, Director at the Centre for Coaching has to say about how these short courses fit in
In order to indicate your interest for any of these short courses, please complete some basic information to start the application process. If you would like to apply right away, please indicate this in the ‘Other’ below and we will send you the link to complete our Online Application Form.