The Centre for Coaching, established in 2002, is situated at the UCT (University of Cape Town) Graduate School of Business (GSB) – Africa’s leading business school. Its courses form part of the GSB Executive Education suite of offerings and are informed by both academic rigour and coaching practice. It is located at the GSB campus and integrates seamlessly into the tertiary institution’s activities. In eighteen years it has become a primary coach training institution and a respected home of coaching theory. Our purpose is to develop top quality one-on-one executive coaches as well as leaders who want to build coaching skills.
Nascent industries lack standards and the local coaching industry was no different when the Centre opened in 2002. There is no South African accreditation body that can validate professional coaching designations. This creates an environment where there are no determined process and therefore no barriers to entry to anyone wishing to become a coach.
For this emerging industry to mature and gain the respect of corporate South Africa, there needs to be structure. The Centre for Coaching aims to support the development of this structure by being the de facto standard and benchmark for coaching excellence. We do this in three different ways:
- Under the auspices of our learning partner, New Ventures West, our public coaching programmes are accredited through the International Coach Federation (ICF) as well as counting as continuing education units (CEUs) for the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- New Ventures West is one of the top coaching schools in the USA that has over 25 years of experience in teaching this style of coaching (integral coaching)
- The theoretical underpinnings of our work and our teaching methodologies are aligned with the academic rigour required at the GSB
In addition to our specialist focus on coaching, the Centre for Coaching is committed to ensuring that this philosophy and its application to leadership becomes a recognised business tool and is dedicated to spearheading the awareness, acceptance and growth of executive coaching and powerful leadership in organisations.
The CfC goes about this in a number of different ways:-
- We offer top-calibre one-on-one executive coaches to those individuals and organisations seeking coaching
- We consult to organisations wishing to invest in leadership development
- We consult to organisations wishing to experience a transformational culture shift
- We conduct research into the work we do both in corporate roll-outs and in our teaching